- - 15 %newSalewaAgner Hybrid RDS Down Jacket Electric MenMSRP 239,95 €203,95 €Available Sizes:SMLXL2XL
- newPeak PerformanceHelium Hood Down Jacket Blue Shadow Men269,95 €Available Sizes:MLXL
- - 15 %newSalewaAgner Hybrid RDS Down Jacket Flame WomenMSRP 239,95 €203,95 €Available Sizes:3436384042
- newPeak PerformanceHelium Hybrid Hood Down Jacket Moonscape Women239,95 €Available Sizes:SMLXL
- newPeak PerformanceHelium Hybrid Hood Down Jacket Black Women239,95 €Available Sizes:SMLXL
- newPeak PerformanceHelium Hood Down Jacket Moonscape Women269,95 €Available Sizes:SMLXL
- newPeak PerformanceHelium Hood Down Jacket Limit Green Men269,95 €Available Sizes:MLXL
- newPeak PerformanceHelium Hybrid Hood Down Jacket Offwhite Women239,95 €Available Sizes:SMLXL
- newPeak PerformanceHelium Hood Down Jacket Sand Fog Women269,95 €Available Sizes:SMLXL
- newPeak PerformanceHelium Hybrid Hood Down Jacket Blue Shadow Men239,95 €Available Sizes:MLXL
- newPeak PerformanceHelium Hybrid Hood Down Jacket Trek Pink Women239,95 €Available Sizes:SMLXL
- newPeak PerformanceHelium Hybrid Hood Down Jacket Shallow Men239,95 €Available Sizes:MLXL
- newPeak PerformanceHelium Hood Down Jacket Hap Pink Women269,95 €Available Sizes:SMLXL
- newPeak PerformanceHelium Hybrid Hood Down Jacket Limit Green Men239,95 €Available Sizes:MLXL
- - 50 %Mountain EquipmentSenja Down Jacket Cosmos WomenMSRP 279,90 €139,95 €Available Sizes:8
- - 50 %PatagoniaAlpLight Down Pullover Dark Ruby WomenMSRP 249,95 €125,00 €Available Sizes:L
- - 50 %ElevenateCombin Down Jacket Maroon Brown MenMSRP 599,95 €299,95 €Available Sizes:M
- - 31 %PatagoniaBaby Reversible Down Sweater Hoody Down Jacket Bear With Me / Wavy Blue KidsMSRP 129,95 €89,95 €Available Sizes:12M18M
- - 29 %PatagoniaBaby Hi-Loft Down Sweater Hoody Down Jacket Fresh Teal KidsMSRP 139,95 €99,95 €Available Sizes:18M
- SalewaBrenta RDS Down Jacket Gold Women229,95 €Available Sizes:3442
- SalewaBrenta RDS Down Jacket Oatmeal Women229,95 €Available Sizes:4042
- - 50 %ScottUltimate Down Jacket Amaranth Red WomenMSRP 299,95 €150,00 €Available Sizes:XS
- - 50 %Mountain EquipmentBaltoro Down Jacket Red Rock / Magma WomenMSRP 299,90 €149,95 €Available Sizes:8
- - 31 %PatagoniaBaby Reversible Down Sweater Hoody Down Jacket Mr. Badger / Pinyon Green KidsMSRP 129,95 €89,95 €Available Sizes:2T12M
- - 50 %Peak PerformanceRivel Puffer Down Jacket Pale WomenMSRP 349,95 €174,95 €Available Sizes:L
- La SportivaDeimos Down Jacket Turquoise / Crystal Women268,95 €Available Sizes:L
- - 50 %PatagoniaSilent Down Parka Down Jacket Wavy Blue MenMSRP 449,95 €224,95 €Available Sizes:MXL
- SalewaBrenta RDS Down Jacket Syrah Kids149,95 €Available Sizes:104116140
- SalewaSella Powertex 3L Hybrid Down Jacket Oatmeal Women449,95 €Available Sizes:3442
- - 44 %PatagoniaReversible Down Sweater Hoody Down Jacket Wandering Woods / Ink Black KidsMSRP 179,95 €99,95 €Available Sizes:M
- - 50 %VargAlgön Hood Down Jacket Rust Orange WomenMSRP 368,95 €184,45 €Available Sizes:ML
- - 50 %Mountain EquipmentLightline Down Jacket Obsidian WomenMSRP 329,90 €164,95 €Available Sizes:16
- - 50 %PatagoniaSilent Down Parka Down Jacket Cone Brown MenMSRP 449,95 €224,95 €Available Sizes:L
- - 33 %NorrønaLyngen down850 Hood Down Jacket Olive Night / Orange Alert WomenMSRP 448,95 €299,95 €Available Sizes:SM
- - 50 %VargAlgön Hood Down Jacket Carbon Black WomenMSRP 368,95 €184,45 €Available Sizes:L
- - 50 %MalojaRehM. Down Jacket Moonless Seeds WomenMSRP 294,95 €147,45 €Available Sizes:XSL
- - 50 %MalojaWalkauzM. Down Jacket Moonless Multi WomenMSRP 449,95 €224,95 €Available Sizes:SML
- - 50 %ArcteryxCerium Hoody Down Jacket Retreat WomenMSRP 399,95 €199,95 €Available Sizes:XL
- - 50 %ElevenateCombin Down Jacket Maroon Brown WomenMSRP 599,95 €299,95 €Available Sizes:ML
- - 44 %PatagoniaReversible Down Sweater Hoody Down Jacket Treeline / New Navy KidsMSRP 179,95 €99,95 €Available Sizes:XL
Down jackets have been on a market for decades now and only thanking to Eddie Bauer who invented the very first piece of garment filled with Down insulation. Should you ever encounter cold, dry or windy conditions out in the mountains, down is an inherent part of true mountain lover either on summer or winter outings.
What is a Down jacket?
The main characteristic of a down jacket is its fluffiness or loft. But what is this loft made by? Down insulated jackets are filled with goose or duck feathers or combination one of these with synthetic material also named as Hybrid Down jacket. To put it simply, feather’s characteristic is its loftiness, therefore maintaining the heat in its tiny air pockets is very efficient and keeps the person warm.
Down fill rating – 400 or 950?
What down fill do you need? This comes to very personal preference, and judgement call because everybody runs on different fuel, energy and plays in various weather conditions. And also, for example women run colder than men, hence we opt for a down jacket suitable to our needs. The rating spans from 300 (less warm) and ends at around 950 (warmest). So, what do these numbers mean? In lab conditions it is a measurement of a loft or ‘’puffiness’’ of the down by compressing down by a weight in a glass cylinder and measured in cubic inches per ounce. As the result is calculation of its loft rebound ability as the fill power. In other words, the higher fill power, the warmer and lighter properties will have the down jacket as opposed to lower numbers of down fill.
Hybrid vs Synthetic vs Down
As mentioned above there’s also a fill combination of down and synthetic fibers. When it comes to pure down fill, the main issue is getting the down wet, which results in losing its warmth properties, otherwise it has got great heat retention, it is lightweight and compressible. Whereas the hybrid fill will still help you keep going when wet and is also more breathable than down. It’s is called hybrid because the most abrasion or most exposed areas are filled with synthetic fibers instead of down, such as shoulders due to backpack straps or arm pit areas due to excessive body heat dump, or hood in case of rain or snow. So, in the event of dry and cold days, opt for a down jacket and in wetter or humid days opt for rather hybrid or fully synthetic jackets. Remember, jackets with synthetic fiber fill are generally cheaper and will hold better in wetter conditions but are a lot heavier and less compressible than down.
Construction of down fill jackets: Sewn-through or Box wall?
The main difference in these two constructions is a method of creating chambers filled with down. Sewn-through construction is a technique for creating a warm, yet packable, down insulated jacket. In this method, the face fabric and jacket lining are sewn together at regular intervals to create cylindrical or other chamber shapes for holding and stabilizing the down fill in the jacket. Whereas in box wall construction is used to create a consistent layer of down insulation in a jacket. In this method baffles are sewn between the inner and outer layers of the garment to create 3-dimensional chambers to contain the down. Each chamber allows the down to loft to its full potential and the even thickness eliminates cold spots ensuring maximum thermal efficiency. This method is only accommodated in heavier insulated garments.
Down jackets are built to keep you warm in dry and cold environment, therefore staying dry in heavy rain, snowfall or blizzard is not an option (if you want to stay dry, put on a hard-shell jacket). Despite the fact these jackets are usually not waterproof, even though there are cases with fully waterproof membrane, they are water resistant and are able to beads off water for some time. The fabric itself is not water resistant but is rather coated with DWR (durable water repellency), which eventually wears off and needs to be re-applied again. The same thing applies to its down fill. Some brands have their down dry treated, which means feathers were soaked into DWR substance in order to prevent absorbing water vapor and ending up with fully wet jacket.
Durability and features
Be aware down jackets are built with a purpose to keep you as warm as possible in the lightest possible way. However, it usually comes with a downside as well. And this would be its durability. In order to cut down jacket’s weight, usually the outer fabric/shell is made of a thinner fabric/denier (i.e., nylon, polyamide) than other winter jackets, hence it’s easier to get it ripped over a rock, by a ski edge, or any other sharp element. Don’t be doubtful though, because down jackets with proper care can also last for decades. As was mentioned before, some technical down for skiing or mountaineering is treated with DWR coating in order to prevent getting jacket damped, besides that hand pockets shouldn’t not be missing on both sides, hood-preferably with synthetic insulation in case of rain and a sack where you can shove your jacket when in your backpack or on your climbing harness.