Big Mountain Powder Skis
Watch out! When “deep powder” is predicted, this is your ski category to go and make a choice. In the Alps, these days are limited, but when the powder swell finally comes, Big Mountain freeride skis are your backup for the maximum surf!
- - 26 %AtomicBent Chetler Mini 22/23 Skis KidsMSRP 269,95 €199,00 €Available Sizes:133
- - 65 %KästleFX 106 HP 20/21 SkisMSRP 849,00 €299,00 €Available Sizes:168
- - 63 %KästleFX 116 20/21 SkisMSRP 799,00 €299,00 €Available Sizes:165175185
- - 25 %Black CrowsAnima 22/23 SkisMSRP 799,95 €599,00 €Available Sizes:182189
- - 47 %K2Pon2oon 22/23 SkisMSRP 749,95 €399,00 €Available Sizes:179
- - 35 %VölklRevolt 121 22/23 SkisMSRP 799,95 €519,00 €Available Sizes:177191
- - 29 %ArmadaARV 116 JJ 22/23 SkisMSRP 699,95 €499,00 €Available Sizes:192
- - 25 %ArmadaWhitewalker 116 22/23 SkisMSRP 799,95 €599,00 €Available Sizes:192
- - 39 %K2Mindbender 116C 22/23 SkisMSRP 649,95 €399,00 €Available Sizes:186193
- - 25 %ArmadaARV 116 JJ UL 22/23 SkisMSRP 799,95 €599,00 €Available Sizes:175185192
- - 39 %LinePandora 110 W 22/23 SkisMSRP 649,95 €399,00 €Available Sizes:170
- - 38 %ArmadaARW 116 VJJ UL 22/23 SkisMSRP 799,95 €499,00 €Available Sizes:165
- - 39 %K2Mindbender 115C W 22/23 Skis WomenMSRP 649,95 €399,00 €Available Sizes:172
- - 33 %DPSPagoda Lotus 117 22/23 SkisMSRP 1498,95 €999,00 €Available Sizes:179185191
- - 47 %HeadKore 117 22/23 SkisMSRP 749,95 €399,00 €Available Sizes:184
- - 25 %Black CrowsNocta 22/23 SkisMSRP 799,95 €599,00 €Available Sizes:185
- - 36 %RossignolBlackops 118 22/23 SkiMSRP 779,95 €499,00 €Available Sizes:176186
- - 20 %DPSFoundation Koala 118 22/23 SkisMSRP 748,95 €599,00 €Available Sizes:184189
- - 19 %FactionLa Machine 5 Max 22/23 SkisMSRP 848,95 €689,00 €Available Sizes:178186
- - 33 %LineOutline 22/23 SkisMSRP 749,95 €499,00 €Available Sizes:178186
- - 30 %ArmadaARG II UL 22/23 SkisMSRP 849,95 €599,00 €Available Sizes:187
- - 14 %ArmadaWhitewalker 121 22/23 SkisMSRP 849,95 €729,00 €Available Sizes:183
- - 33 %LineVision 118 22/23 SkisMSRP 749,95 €499,00 €Available Sizes:189
- - 33 %ArmadaShort Pants Paradox 22/23 SkisMSRP 749,95 €499,00 €Available Sizes:168176
- - 33 %DPSPagoda Lotus 124 22/23 SkisMSRP 1498,95 €999,00 €Available Sizes:185
- - 36 %DynastarM-Free 118 F-Team 22/23 SkisMSRP 779,95 €499,00 €Available Sizes:180
- - 36 %AtomicBent Chetler 120 22/23 Skis Green / PurpleMSRP 749,95 €479,00 €Available Sizes:176184192
- - 50 %VölklKatana V.Werks 19/20 SkisMSRP 999,95 €499,00 €Available Sizes:191
- - 43 %HeadKore 111 21/22 SkisMSRP 699,95 €399,00 €Available Sizes:177
- - 52 %VölklKatana V-Werks 21/22 SkisMSRP 1049,95 €499,00 €Available Sizes:191
- - 50 %RossignolBlackops Sender Squad 21/22 SkisMSRP 799,95 €399,00 €Available Sizes:194
- - 50 %BlizzardSheeva 11 21/22 Skis WomenMSRP 599,95 €299,00 €Available Sizes:180
FREERIDE SKIS – PERFECT FOR DEEP POWDER SNOW
With proper center and shovel widths, you'll get the most out of your powder day. With partners like Armada, K2, Line, DPS and many more, we are proud to present you a wide range of high quality Big Mountain Powder skis every year. In this category guide we tell you what you should look for when buying freeride, big mountain powder skis.
WHAT SHOULD BE THE CENTER & TIP WIDTH OF FREERIDE SKIS?
Don't worry. With center widths starting around 100 millimeters and wide tips to roll pizza dough, we've got all the thick slats covered in the big mountain powder ski category. It really doesn't get any wider than this!
Freeride skis differ in construction, shape and rocker, but they have one thing in common: a center width of over 100 millimeters. Basically, the more center width, the more flotation in powder. The cut to the ski tail and tip directly affects the radius and therefore the maneuverability of the ski. The smaller the cut, the more inert the skis ride. A stronger, tailored cut provides for more playful skiing characteristics.
ROCKER & CAMBER ON FREERIDE SKIS
Well, noticed anything? The experts were certainly getting a little bit nervous about the last view lines above. Flotation only due to center-width? Of course, the riding characteristics and properties such as floatation of any freeride ski are determined considerable extent by the Rocker construction.
The more the ski is rockered towards the center, the more it generates flotation. Whether untracked slopes with light Champain powder or moistured snow, full rocker skis are the easiest for beginners, due to the enormous lift. Tip & tail rockered skis offer additional carving performance due to the camber area under the center of the ski. But skis in the powder and big mountain category have absolutely no business to do on pistes.
FREETOURING & BIG MOUNTAIN - HOW DOES IT WORK?
Are you looking for lightweight powder skis that you can also use for ski touring? Then simply use the filter “weight”. Of courese width costs some weight. Powder freetouring skis often weigh around 1500 grams and therefore are heavier than their narrower counterparts. So take into consideration that this will reduce your range of ascents when not using chair lifts or gondolas.
Lighter means less effort with a simultaneous increase in buoyancy in powder. Higher weight provides more driving stability and grip on the edges, which has a positive effect at higher speeds and more difficult snow conditions.
BIG MOUNTAIN FREERIDE SKIS
Where “backcountry freeride skis” are supremely turnable and dynamic in tight and playful terrain, big mountain freeride skis feel more straight. Big Mountain Freeride skis are designed for high speed, smoothness and stability. These skis offer very high control at speeds, long turns on steep slopes - and come into play exactly where the performance limits of all-mountain skis are found!
But beware. These boards are not meant for the sporadic trip into the backcountry. Proper freeride skis are specialists for massive powder conditions where snowcats are beyond their capacity and the avalanche warning sign turns into dark red. They are "special tools"; the perfect supplement for your existing all-mountain or piste skis.
THE RIGHT BINDING FOR FREERIDE SKIS
Okay, you're already planning to camp in the lift queue with your folding chair to drop your first lines? Then hopefully you've taken care of the right binding for your freeride ski!? Freeride skis bring due to their center width and volume decent momentum and this must be secured. These bindings are optimized for freeride use and prevent, for example, early releases after hard drops.
In addition, freeride bindings also offer the appropriate stopper width. If you want to put together a freeride ski set, make sure when choosing a binding that it also offers compatible stoppers.
WHICH LENGTH FOR FREERIDE SKIS?
To make sure to have fun, you should definitely choose the right ski length. For beginners, we recommend exactly the own body size. For advanced skiers and pros, it can be around an additional ten centimeters. Do you like to ride playful? Then you can reduce the length again. Basically, long skis equal smooth running, short skis equal maneuverability. More on the sizing of your skis.
If you have no further questions, then grab your powder mates and hit the butter-soft slopes! But don't forget your avalanche safety equipment!
Want to read more about skiing? Then we have more interesting blog posts for you below!
Freetouring – The unique combination between ski touring and freeriding
Back Protection: Necessary safety equipment
Tips & Tricks: A guide to ski waxing
Ski Length Guide
Have fun reading!