Protectors | Snowboard
- - 40 %AblingerX-Lite Vest Protection Black WomenMSRP 149,95 €89,95 €Available Sizes:XSSML
- - 33 %KomperdellBallistic Vest Protection Schwarz / Lime KidsMSRP 119,95 €79,95 €Available Sizes:116128
- - 41 %KomperdellSuper Eco Vest Protection Schwarz / Pink WomenMSRP 169,95 €99,95 €Available Sizes:XSS
- - 40 %AblingerX-Lite Vest Protection Black MenMSRP 149,95 €89,95 €Available Sizes:S
- - 33 %KomperdellAir Vest Protection Peacock / Schwarz KidsMSRP 119,95 €79,95 €Available Sizes:116128140152
- POCVPD Air Vest Protection Cubane Blue Kids119,90 €Available Sizes:S
- - 38 %AlpinaProlan Vest Protection Dark Grey WomenMSRP 159,95 €99,95 €Available Sizes:XSSML
- - 33 %Body GloveLite Pro Protection Black / Blue / Lime KidsMSRP 119,95 €79,95 €Available Sizes:1012
- - 30 %Body GloveShorts Protection BlackMSRP 99,95 €69,95 €Available Sizes:SL
- POCSpine VPD Air Vest Slim Protection Uranium Black Men149,90 €Available Sizes:S
- POCPOCito VPD Air Vest Protection Pink Kids99,95 €Available Sizes:S
- POCPOCito VPD Air Vest Protection Orange Kids99,95 €Available Sizes:S
- - 30 %Body GlovePower Pro Protection Black / Blue MenMSRP 199,95 €139,95 €Available Sizes:S
- - 30 %Body GlovePower Pro Protection Black / Purple WomenMSRP 199,95 €139,95 €Available Sizes:XSL
- - 29 %Body GloveLite Pro Vest Protection Black / Lime MenMSRP 169,95 €119,95 €Available Sizes:SXL
- - 17 %ScottAirFlex Back Protection BlackMSRP 119,95 €99,95 €Available Sizes:SL
- - 30 %KomperdellAir Vest Junior Protection Green KidsMSRP 99,95 €69,95 €Available Sizes:116128140152
- - 29 %Body GloveLite Pro Protection Black / Pink WomenMSRP 169,95 €119,95 €Available Sizes:XSL
- - 35 %KomperdellBallistic Flex Fit Woman Protection Black/Graphite WomenMSRP 229,95 €149,95 €Available Sizes:ML
- - 27 %Body GloveLite Pro Vest Protection Black / Blue / Yellow KidsMSRP 109,95 €79,95 €Available Sizes:468
- - 35 %POCSpine VPD 2.0 Vest Protection BlackMSRP 229,95 €149,95 €Available Sizes:SMS
- - 30 %KomperdellAir Vest Junior Protection Pink KidsMSRP 99,95 €69,95 €Available Sizes:128140152
- ScottAirflex Vest JR Protection Black / Grey Kids109,95 €Available Sizes:XSSM
- - 30 %AblingerX-Lite Vest Protection Black KidsMSRP 99,95 €69,95 €Available Sizes:101214
- - 38 %Body GlovePower Pro Shorts Protection Black KidsMSRP 79,95 €49,95 €Available Sizes:12
- - 40 %KomperdellPro Vest Protection Black / Mint WomenMSRP 199,95 €119,95 €Available Sizes:XS
- - 27 %ScottAirflex Vest JR Protection Camo / Black KidsMSRP 109,95 €79,95 €Available Sizes:XSM
- - 29 %AtomicLive Shield Protection BlackMSRP 139,95 €99,95 €Available Sizes:XL
- - 36 %AtomicLive Shield Vest Amid Protection Black WomenMSRP 219,95 €139,95 €Available Sizes:XS
- - 27 %ScottAirflex Jr. Vest Protection High Viz Pink KidsMSRP 109,95 €79,95 €Available Sizes:XXSXSM
- - 31 %POCForearm Comp Protection Uranium Black KidsMSRP 129,90 €89,95 €One size
- - 38 %AtomicLive Shield Amid JR Protection Red KidsMSRP 159,95 €99,95 €Available Sizes:S
- - 37 %POCForearm Comp Protection Uranium BlackMSRP 159,90 €99,95 €One size
- - 32 %POCShins Comp Protection Uranium Black KidsMSRP 189,90 €129,95 €One size
If you look around on the ski slopes these days, you can see a welcome change: In contrast to the past, you hardly notice skiers or snowboarders without helmets. Almost 90 percent of all winter sports enthusiasts wear the essential head protection on the slopes. The increasing awareness of protection and of the right equipment to keep you safe is also evident in other outdoor activities, such as touring or freeriding.
Only just over 15 percent of winter sports enthusiasts wear a back protector. Along with a helmet, however, a protector should be part of every snowboarder's standard equipment. Because at more than 15 percent, spinal and chest injuries are the most common injuries on ski slopes - usually caused by violent collisions. Those who want to protect themselves optimally for snowboarding can fall back on a large selection of safety equipment at Sport Conrad, because in addition to the back, other body parts also want to be well protected during your winter sports.
What are the types of protectors, and what are their advantages?
For fall-prone and body-impacting sports such as snowboarding, the most important protectors are, in addition to the helmet, the back protector and protector pants. Thus, the most sensitive parts of the body are very well protected, and you effectively increase your safety on the board.
The back protector serves the passive safety especially of the spine, so an absolute must-have in the backcountry, on the slopes and in the park. On the one hand, the protector fulfills the function of damping impact forces in the event of a fall or collision and, on the other hand, its large protective surface prevents sharp objects such as branches, stones or ski poles from drilling into the back.
In general, a distinction is made between back protectors and protector vests. The former protect the spine in case of falls or collisions. Protector vests also impress with a particularly comfortable fit and provide additional protection for the collarbone. Due to the almost unrestricted freedom of movement, vests are ideal for the park, as well as for freeriding. When buying your back protector, you should also pay attention to whether the protector has a test mark. Namely, the certification according to EN-1621-2, which was transferred from the motorcycle sector to skiing and snowboarding and has been valid since 2014. In addition, the protector should be temperature and moisture resistant and have a minimum protection zone. A continuous protective surface is also important, because in exposed areas the attack surface for force impacts is large and thus injuries can occur more easily.
Let's face it, every snowboarder has fallen on his tailbone and remembers the pain even days later. Protector pants should not be missing in any snowboarder's household - whether you are a beginner or a pro. In addition to the tailbone, these special pants also protect the hip bone, another very sensitive part of the body. Due to the unobtrusive wearing comfort and the unrestricted freedom of movement, they are perfect for snowboarding on the slopes, in the backcountry and especially in the park.
When are hard or soft materials suitable?
With soft protectors, flexible and lightweight materials protect your body. They consist of plastic foams such as polyurethane (PU) or ethylene vinyl acetate (EVA), each of which is layered in different layers to make the protector even lighter. So-called viscoelastic foam materials hug the back very well because they become warm and thus softer due to body temperature. When the protector is taken off, they return to their original shape. This also happens in the event of a fall: the foam materials absorb the impact energy and briefly change their structure before regaining their original shape. This return to the original shape is called multi-impact. Especially for falls into the snow, or on the flat slope, soft protectors are very well suited.
Hard shell protectors
Hard shell protectors are made of hard plastic (polypropylene (PP) or polycarbonate (PC)) with little elasticity and can therefore poorly absorb and hardly dampen the impact energy after a collision, for example. Due to a cushioning foam on the inside of the back and a shock-resistant hard plastic plate on the outside, the hard shell protector has a high penetration resistance and thus protects you from sharp objects and sharp edges.
Particularly important when buying a protector is that it fits properly, because only then can it protect you from serious injuries in falls. A clue for the right size, can be the clothing size. However, your back length is also important, because a back protector should cover the entire area from the cervical vertebra to the coccyx. The best way to find the right model in the right size is to try it on and have a consultant measure you professionally. Also note that there are men's and women's models, as the female body shape is different than that of men. Women's fit means, for example, a narrower hip belt or pre-shaped areas at the chest and shoulders.
Material & Care
When buying, make sure that you choose protectors made of highly breathable, antibacterial materials with a ventilation system - it's never too cold with a protector, usually rather too warm. Consequently, good ventilation increases the wearing comfort.
Since you will certainly sweat in your protector nevertheless the one or other time, you should wash it from time to time. With some manufacturers, the protective surface must be removed before washing, otherwise most protectors can be washed at 30 degrees in the washing machine.
If a protector has taken a hard hit after a fall or collision and has defects such as cracks or broken areas, it should be replaced. Even if you haven't had an accident for several winters, it's still advisable to get a new one after about 5 years, as the fabric may not be able to provide the protection it promises after a certain amount of time. Even if protectors do not protect you from all injuries, such as sprains and twists of the spine, they can often prevent worse. With a back protector also rides a greater sense of security and maybe that lets you enjoy so many downhills even more.
Snowboard Protectors: Selection at Sport Conrad
At Sport Conrad you can find snowboard protectors for women, men and children, in all sizes and styles for your snowboard adventure. Top brands like POC, Body Glove and Komperdell offer you superb quality. Whether freestyle, freeride or splitboarding, you are guaranteed to find what you are looking for in our online store.