- - 18 %newPetzlMeteor Climbing Helmet Rot / OrangeMSRP 84,95 €69,95 €Available Sizes:12
- - 10 %newEdelridZodiac Climbing Helmet IcemintMSRP 54,95 €49,45 €One size
- - 18 %newPetzlBoreo Climbing Helmet WeißMSRP 54,95 €44,95 €Available Sizes:M/L S/M
- - 13 %newPetzlSirocco Climbing Helmet SchwarzMSRP 114,95 €99,95 €Available Sizes:SL
- - 13 %newPetzlSirocco Climbing Helmet Weiss / OrangeMSRP 114,95 €99,95 €Available Sizes:12
- - 10 %newEdelridZodiac Climbing Helmet SnowMSRP 54,95 €49,45 €One size
- - 10 %newEdelridZodiac Climbing Helmet OasisMSRP 54,95 €49,45 €One size
- - 18 %newPetzlBoreo Climbing Helmet OrangeMSRP 54,95 €44,95 €Available Sizes:2
- - 11 %newSalewaToxo 3.0 Climbing Helmet WhiteMSRP 44,95 €39,95 €One size
- - 15 %newMammutWall Rider Climbing Helmet WhiteMSRP 99,95 €84,95 €Available Sizes:5256
- - 14 %newGrivelDuetto Climbing Helmet BlackMSRP 138,95 €119,95 €One size
- - 18 %newPetzlMeteor Climbing Helmet White / Black MenMSRP 84,95 €69,95 €Available Sizes:M/L S/M
- - 17 %newPetzlBorea Climbing Helmet White WomenMSRP 59,95 €49,95 €Available Sizes:S/M
- - 17 %newPetzlBoreo Climbing Helmet Grün / TürkisMSRP 59,95 €49,95 €One size
- - 10 %newDynafitTLT Helmet SilvrettaMSRP 139,95 €125,95 €Available Sizes:LXLS/M
- - 10 %newPetzlPicchu Climbing Helmet Blue KidsMSRP 49,95 €44,95 €One size
- - 10 %newDynafitTLT Helmet NimbusMSRP 139,95 €125,95 €Available Sizes:LXLS/M
- - 10 %newMammutSkywalker 3.0 Climbing Helmet TitaniumMSRP 59,95 €53,95 €One size
- - 10 %newDynafitTLT Helmet FrostMSRP 139,95 €125,95 €Available Sizes:S/M
- - 13 %newSinging RockPenta Climbing Helmet WhiteMSRP 79,95 €69,95 €One size
- - 18 %newPetzlMeteora Climbing Helmet White / Grey WomenMSRP 84,95 €69,95 €One size
- - 18 %newPetzlMeteora Climbing Helmet White / Violet WomenMSRP 84,95 €69,95 €One size
- - 10 %newPetzlPicchu Climbing Helmet Violet KidsMSRP 49,95 €44,95 €One size
- - 10 %newSalewaPiuma 3.0 Climbing Helmet GreenMSRP 119,95 €107,95 €Available Sizes:LXL
- - 30 %Black DiamondHalf Dome Climbing Helmet DenimMSRP 54,95 €38,45 €Available Sizes:M/L S/M
- - 30 %Black DiamondHalf Dome Climbing Helmet SlateMSRP 54,95 €38,45 €Available Sizes:S/M
- - 30 %SalewaVega Climbing Helmet Grey CamoMSRP 99,95 €69,95 €Available Sizes:LXLS/M
- - 30 %MammutCrag Sender Climbing Helmet TitaniumMSRP 89,95 €62,95 €Available Sizes:5256
- - 40 %SalewaVega Climbing Helmet OrangeMSRP 99,95 €59,95 €Available Sizes:S/M
- - 30 %SalewaPura Climbing Helmet Dark GreyMSRP 59,95 €41,95 €Available Sizes:LXLS/M
- - 30 %MammutCrag Sender Climbing Helmet WhiteMSRP 89,95 €62,95 €Available Sizes:5256
- - 30 %CAMPStorm Climbing Helmet GreyMSRP 81,50 €57,05 €Available Sizes:S/M
- - 30 %SalewaVega Climbing Helmet WhiteMSRP 99,95 €69,95 €Available Sizes:LXLS/M
- - 30 %SalewaPura Climbing Helmet RedMSRP 59,95 €41,95 €Available Sizes:MXL
- - 30 %Black DiamondVapor Climbing Helmet Bordeaux WomenMSRP 139,95 €97,95 €Available Sizes:S/M
- - 30 %Black DiamondVapor Climbing Helmet Blizzard-WhiteMSRP 139,95 €97,95 €Available Sizes:M
- - 30 %PetzlBorea Climbing Helmet Violett WomenMSRP 54,95 €38,45 €One size
- - 30 %SalewaToxo 3.0 Climbing Helmet GreenMSRP 44,95 €31,45 €One size
- - 30 %EdelridShield Climbing Helmet Jade / Petrol KidsMSRP 59,95 €41,95 €Available Sizes:56
- - 30 %EdelridShield II Climbing Helmet Oasis / SnowMSRP 79,95 €55,95 €Available Sizes:56
- - 40 %CAMPTitan Climbing Helmet RedMSRP 48,00 €28,80 €Available Sizes:S
- - 30 %Black DiamondVIsion Climbing Helmet Aqua Verde WomenMSRP 89,95 €62,95 €Available Sizes:S/M
- - 30 %KongKosmos Climbing Helmet BlackMSRP 109,95 €76,95 €Available Sizes:LXL
- - 30 %CAMPStorm Climbing Helmet Grey / LimeMSRP 81,50 €57,05 €Available Sizes:S
- - 30 %KongKosmos Climbing Helmet WhiteMSRP 109,95 €76,95 €Available Sizes:LXLS/M
- - 30 %LACDProtector 2.0 Climbing Helmet WhiteMSRP 49,95 €34,95 €One size
- - 30 %MammutSkywalker 3.0 Climbing Helmet PurpleMSRP 59,95 €41,95 €One size
- - 30 %StubaiSpirit Climbing Helmet SchwarzMSRP 69,95 €48,95 €Available Sizes:60
- - 30 %LACDProtector 2.0 Climbing Helmet PinkMSRP 49,95 €34,95 €One size
When climbing, safety is everything. And for that, you not only need a belaying device, you also need a good climbing helmet. And this needs to fit you well and guard you well. There are different kinds with their advantages and disadvantages, depending on how they are constructed and what other features they bring.
Why use a helmet when climbing?
Why do you need a helmet? It’s simple, nature can be quite dangerous. When you are out and about on rock walls, it can happen that small pieces of rocks or also bigger ones get loose and fall down. This should obviously not be the every-day thing, but it does happen. And of course, there are different kinds of rocks, but better safe than sorry!
But it is not only nature that can be a danger. It is also fellow climbers. Because if someone is climbing above you, he could trigger stones to fall down, and land straight on your head. And that is not all, he could also drop a carabiner, quickdraws or other tools by mistake.
And of course, the helmet also protects you from injuries when falling. Generally, it is not very likely that you land on your head when falling while climbing. But there is other possibilities to get injured. For example when falling uncontrolled, you could start swinging, which could bump your head into the walls.
And last but not least, the helmet also protects you from strong sun and rain, but then again – you will probably have other worries if it starts raining while in a wall!
Construction and features of your climbing helmet
Generally, there are two types of climbing helmets. Hardshell ones, and in-molds ones. And there are hybrid helmets that give you the best of both worlds.
The hardshell helmet is the classic one. It has a very durable and robust outer shell made of synthetic material. On the inside, the helmet is cushioned to make it fit nicely. It is for sure the cheaper option, but the weight is a bit higher.
In-mold helmets have a rigid foam shell and a thin plastic layer on top. They are usually more expensive, but they weigh less. That is why they are very popular with climbers that would get head aches by heavier helmets. But these helmets are also a bit more vulnerable to denting.
Therefore, one important aspect is the weight. The lighter, the more comfortable it is to wear.
And ventilation. On climbing helmets, there are holes in the back and on the sides. Obviously you can not have them on top like on a bike helmet due to falling small rocks. And there are climbing helmets with predesigned fixation for head lamps.
By the way, the design is pretty relevant too. Of course, the color will not change its capabilities. But if you like the look of your helmet, you are way more likely to wear it whenever possible, so make sure you pick one that you like! Also, bright colors can be seen more easily!
Fit of the climbing helmet
What is most important, is that the helmet fits you well. Because if it doesn’t, it will not be able to do what it is supposed to do properly, and it will probably also cause quite a head ache.
Helmets come in different sizes and most of the time, you can then adjust them more precisely with custom fit systems in the back. Also, there are one-size helmets, where the range of sizing is larger.
No matter what type of climbing you are doing, be it a via ferrata, alpine or sports climbing or ice climbing, on the mountain or inside – you need a helmet for protection when you climb! Also, you will obviously also need additional equipment: harnesses, belaying devices, climbing shoes, rope and other essentials.
Read more regarding climbing helmets
©Climbing helmet when sport climbing by Sam Bie & Petzl ©Climbing helmet by Simon Gietl