- - 46 %LekiVertical K Pole Schwarz-WeißMSRP 129,95 €70,00 €Available Sizes:125130135140
- - 14 %newLekiUltratrail FX.One Superlite Foldable Pole Bright-Neonyellow / NaturalMSRP 174,95 €149,95 €Available Sizes:105110125135
- - 10 %newLekiUltratrail FX.One Foldable Pole Bright Red / Black / NeonyellowMSRP 164,95 €148,45 €Available Sizes:115120125130135
- - 10 %newLekiUltratrail FX.One Superlite Telescopic Pole Neonpink / NeonyellowMSRP 174,95 €157,45 €Available Sizes:115120125
- - 15 %newDynafitUltra Pro Foldable Pole Carbon / Methyl BlueMSRP 164,95 €139,95 €One size
- - 45 %LekiMicro Trail Vario 100-120 Foldable PoleMSRP 199,95 €109,95 €One size
- - 10 %newLekiNeotrail FX.One Superlite Telescopic Pole Bright Red / Neonyellow / NaturalcarbonMSRP 154,95 €139,45 €Available Sizes:120125130
- - 13 %newDynafitVertical Foldable Pole General Lee / Methyl BlueMSRP 114,95 €99,95 €Available Sizes:110115130135
- - 43 %LekiVertical K Pole Schwarz / Weiß CarbonMSRP 139,95 €79,95 €Available Sizes:110115120125130
- - 19 %newDynafitUltra Foldable Pole Malta / CactusMSRP 134,95 €109,95 €One size
- - 21 %KomperdellCarbon FXP.4 Summit Vario Foldable Pole Schwarz / BronzeMSRP 189,95 €149,95 €One size
- - 20 %newLekiCross Trail FX Superlite Foldable Pole White / Bright Red / BlackMSRP 199,95 €159,95 €One size
- - 13 %newBlack DiamondW Distance Carbon Z Foldable Pole Dark Patina WomenMSRP 159,95 €139,95 €Available Sizes:105
- - 10 %SalomonUltra Carbon Foldable Pole BlueMSRP 149,95 €134,95 €Available Sizes:110115120125135
- - 25 %LekiCross Trail FX Superlite Compact Foldable Pole White / Mint / BlackMSRP 199,95 €149,95 €One size
- - 33 %KomperdellCarbon .FXP Trail Foldable Pole Schwarz / TitanMSRP 149,95 €99,95 €Available Sizes:105135
- - 10 %SalomonQuest Carbon Foldable Pole MadderMSRP 149,95 €134,95 €Available Sizes:115120125130135
- - 10 %newBlack DiamondW Distance Carbon FLZ Pole Dark Patina WomenMSRP 179,95 €161,95 €Available Sizes:125
Who needs poles to run? Well, runners do – especially trail runners! Of course, these poles are by no means a must-have, but they do have a bunch of advantages which is why so many people use them. They relieve your legs, offer stability and increase sure-footedness both up- and downhill. One brand that is very well known in this area is LEKI, who concentrate on poles, but other brands such as Scott and Black Diamond offer equally good material!
Why use running poles?
Because they provide lots of stability. Especially when the ground is rocky, uneven or very steep, this is of great advantage. As you also use your upper body, your legs are relieved, which saves energy when on long runs. Especially when going uphill, your muscles on your thighs and calves are spared. And when going downhill, the poles increase your stability. As your body is really working hard when trail running, the poles for sure make it easier.
Characteristics of running poles
Some people might argue that running poles might make running easier, but you still have to carry them? Sure, but running poles really do no weigh much. Most of the time, they are made of carbon, ensuring a weight of about 200g per pole. Running poles are either foldable, 3-piece or have a fixed length. While foldable poles can be folded similar to how avalanche probes work, 3-piece ones can easily be adjustet like telescope poles.
The advantage of these types is clear: you can put them in or onto your backpack. The tip of the poles is usually made of very hard metal and ensure precise usage.
Some running poles can also be used when hiking to your via ferrata or when doing Nordic Walking. As of this, most poles will easily let you switch the pole baskets. But there are also specific poles for Nordic Walking, trekking and hiking!
It is not only about running poles, you also need all other outdoor equipment
To ensure that the poles are actually of use, there is a simple rule: when going uphill, shorten them about 5-10cm, when doing downhill, they need to be 5-10cm longer.
Read more regarding trail running and running poles
©Running poles by Christoph Schöch ©Foldable running poles by Claudia Ziegler